Aug 31, 2008

Brazilian. . . what?

Today is (or was?) the [Brazilian Day]. It's a festival on the 46th street, known as Little Brazil Street, with famous Brazilian bands, festival and, obviously, Brazilian people. Did I go? Hum, no.

I wasn't a big fan... ok, rephrasing that, I was not a fan of Brazilian festivals while in Brazil. I know, I know, what about [Brazilian Carnival] and all those parties? Well, usually I would travel far from all that. I can't say that I didn't want to go and see the [parades from Rio de Janeiro], but in good and appropriate conditions it costs a little fortune. I wasn't a type of person that would enjoy the famous [Carnival in Salvador], a huge party where people dance for days on the streets following a huge surrounding sound truck, jumping and singing. Come on, it's summer, that means sweat all over, disgusting drunk people, no decent bathrooms and also sometimes no respect for some parts of your body (and I don't mean only feet, ok?). Oh, plus another tiny fortune. So there was one last option and it was going to the countryside for smaller carnival parades. There are really nice and famous places in Minas Gerais, such as [Ouro Preto], but I don't know... It's just not my type. Maybe I should have gone once in my life, but know it's too late, I'm too old for that (or too married too).

It's not that I don't like Brazilian music at all, but I have a different taste. I enjoy listening to [Ivete Sangalo], [Skank] and [Paralamas], and probably would enjoy a lot their concerts, I listen to some Brazilian music called [mpb], but I listen to it just as I listen to Enya, you know? I like it, but I don't love it. I went to some concerts in Brazil, they were [Linkin Park], [Oasis], but not a single Brazilian band concert.

So I knew today there would be [Jorge Ben Jor], Banda Eva and [Lulu Santos]. I've listen to them all, I have it in my iTunes library, but it just didn't get me to walk some blocks and fight with 1,5 million people (that is what they were expecting) to barely listen to them. You also have to remember that on my 1.6m (5'4") I can't see much during a street concert, right?

And I have to say the truth: I only remembered about it because my Canadian-Argentinian friend called me to say she was there (sorry, I got your message almost 6pm). After that, when I was reading the news from [UOL], a Brazilian news website and found an [article] about it I decided it was such a big event that I should write too. When it comes to Brazil, people, food and beaches are amazing. Music... I'm not an expert.

4 comments:

Rachel A. said...

sounds like it would have been insane with 1.5 million people.....where would they have fit all those people anyway?

π said...

in nyc! like any other random day of they week...

Anonymous said...

apoio, eu tb não iria nem com o dia livre...rs
Bjos

Marilia said...

Não faz meu gênero também, mas dependendo da carga de saudades pode até rolar...
Beijinhos,