Sep 19, 2009

First Hosh Hashanah

It all just started when Barbi told me she wasn't going to Montreal for the Jewish New Year. She said she would miss not only family, but also food. I do believe that friends we have in NY are the closest family we have around, those that we can call to tell something you want to share, when you need help or when you want to laugh and cry. And I could do something about the food as well.

So she sent me the menu and recipes, I went for some groceries and bought some different ingredients I initially had no idea how to cook. I chose to make the apple cake, a kugel (baked grated potatoes), some chicken and the barley and beans soup, along with some not traditional edamames and peas. I learned that Jewish food is very simple and easy to make, just demands a lot of time.

Apple Cake

Barbi brought the challah (bread) and wine, did the prayers and explained the importance of each dish. We all ate a lot and, as I said before, modesty is not my best when it comes to my food, because usually I like what I cook!


We had a great time and it was, once again, very nice to learn more about a different culture. Hope next year we can celebrate it again, but I do hope to have a book that has pictures with each recipe...

4 comments:

Marilia said...

Que belo desafio você teve.
parabéns, cada vez mais internacional e intercultural.
beijos

Ana Paula said...

Eu PRECISO comer um pedaço dessa torta!!! Rala um fedex?? Rsss... Beijos. Bo

π said...

eu faço em dezembro pro nosso ano novo! vou fazer uma bem grandona e sair distrobuindo pedaços!

Giselle said...

Yummy... aprender outra cultura pela culinária é magnífico! Estou mto orgulhosa de vc!

(Também quero um pedaço da torta!)

beijos

(p.s.: adorei a foto de vc e sua mamys!)