Dear non-Portuguese readers,
I am so sorry it took me ages to translate my posts. I have to be honest, I was procrastinating, but I got the news that Byron might be traveling again, so I know, by the time he gets back you wouldn't even be interested about our trip to Boston. So here we go, I'll translate/adapt 2 posts in 1.
We traveled up to Boston as part of our Thanksgiving trip. A partner from Fê's law firm organized a Thanksgiving dinner for all foreigner associates in Connecticut, so we decided to take the 7am train to Boston on Thursday and drive down Saturday morning, returning our rental car in New York. It all didn't end up exactly like that, but let's keep in a chronological order.
I really loved Boston. The first day we were there we only went for a walk around Boston Commons and although the weather and the absence of leafs didn't help much, it is a beautiful park. We were also invited for a Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday by my friend's parents. It was such a great experience, as this was our first celebration in the US as last year doesn't count, we were in LA eating turkey in a hotel, very good food, but not a family tradition at all. The food was great, as well as the feeling of being surrounded by family, even if it wasn't ours.
I was surprised bu the concept of dinner starting at 2pm, but as spent some hours eating and talking I understood it pretty well. It was delicious and I was not capable of eating after that. Well, to be honest after a couple of hours I could, but only a snack... and some beer... and dessert. So that's what we ended up doing at Beehive with some friends. The place is nice, live band and good food! Oh yes, more food. I said in my Portuguese post that the day after Thursday I would only have some salad. As you can see from my pictures, I totally didn't do it.
So about the day after. We woke up really early as I bought 2 Duck Tours tickets for us. It was really great, as we wouldn't have time to visit all those places in one day, not to mention all the historical and funny facts the guide told us. It also goes for a 20 minutes "drive" in Charles River and that was pretty exciting, we could see both sides of the river, Boston and Cambridge, where Harvard is located. Was it cold? Not so bad, as I had brought my super coat I bought while living in Montreal. But Fê might not agree.
Nothing better to warm our bodies up than taking the train to the Sam Adam's Brewery. There is a 30' tour plus some beer tasting. There were a bunch of drunks there for sure, but I was honestly trying to pay attention to the production steps and how to best taste our beer samples. And we came back with our cute souvenir glasses!
After that we just went for a walk around the city, had lunch at Cheers, visited the Holocaust Memorial, Financial District, Frog's Pond, Newbury St and, finally, more food. We had dinner at a place called Finale, very famous for its desserts. Shrimp soup was delicious, but nothing beats some hot chocolate sample and all desserts from the menu in tiny bites. That was just fantastic!
And what happened Saturday? We are not so sure, but the partner's husband fell and dinner was canceled. We got an extra morning in Boston and we ended up walking around Beacon Hill and having some brunch there. Isn't it amazing that this post was totally dedicated to food? Well... I learned that Thanksgiving is also about it, we should be thankful for the food we have, and I was very happy with everything we had!
Oh, and if you can read both English and Portuguese posts, you'll notice a big difference between them, not about facts but how I write about it. It might be easier just to write about food and nice touristic places we visited in a foreign language than, for example, about the sad feeling I had while in the Holocaust Memorial and how cruelty can change people's life. I hope people can think more about being thankful for their food and life than what they can do to harm others.
Dec 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment